Currently Mahbub is engaged in research examining:
- the effects of governance on financial reporting quality.
- audit quality, auditor choice and auditor independence.
- the role of state and policy makers in influencing governance reforms and shaping governance practice.
- formal and private interaction between governance agents.
- international and national (regulatory and cultural) influences on governance practice, including enterprise risk management and internal control effectiveness.
He has undertaken and published research examining:
- corporate governance quality, audit fees and non-audit fees
- informal governance and behavioural effects
- effectiveness of audit committees
- international convergence and divergence in governance
- governance and control of parent-subsidiary
- value and relevance of the auditors' report
- regulation of auditing and lobbying